Monday, July 16, 2007

so I am back yet again!
Have had a really difficult couple of weeks, and really needed time to reflect, and, well, just be.
Onwards and upwards (I hope).
HUGE thanks to Ali, who called me out of the blue. Just to lend some support and a friendly ear. I love you SO much girlie, and of course it was lovely to talk to you, much love to you and yours (and am hoping you are an Auntie now?!) -x-

Hard to say what I have been doing really. Bit of this, bit of that. Made a few bags, here is one I made, and am waiting for more stuff to arrive.



I am really amazed that I can actually sew! You see, years ago I caught what I though was the sewing bug, and got bought a brilliant singer machine for christmas. I figured I was never destined to be a seamstress. You see, I could never get a single good stitch from this machine, and neither could anyone else who tried. My Great Grandmother was an amazing dressmaker. She would see a dress, coat, or anything in a shop window, go back home and have one knocked up in no time. All of my Mothers clothes were made by her.
I secretly hoped there was something in the genetics, but alas, 'twas not meant to be.
That singer machine was overhauled and serviced, to no avail.

So a few weeks ago, I figured I would give it another go...but not on my machine...oh no, on my Great Grandmothers vintage Singer.

OMG it works like a dream.

It is one like this:

It sews every single stitch with the perfection one would expect from a modern machine like mine. Ok, so it has no fancy stitches, you can't reverse, it has no seam markings, and no fancy electric stuff...but you know what? It is SO totally worth it. Because now I CAN SEW! I really can! There is something quite satisfying about turning that old handle.
And of course it looks so darn pretty sat on my studio desk!
The next project I am tackling is an Amy Butler number...watch this space!

1 comment:

Lyzzydee said...

I know how you feel about the machine, I have a treadle one and it sews perfectly it has a lot of sophisticated technology for such an old machine!(mine is from 1870) Have you looked your serial number up on line, it will tell where it was made and when.